Monday, January 30, 2012

Pound Cake - OMGosh



Okay... while I was paying bills and sorting out paperwork for taxes this morning I decided to bake a pound cake. I have been reading up on them so I thought that since it takes over an hour and a half to bake and the smell would be good I went to town....this recipe makes 3 loaves but I did not have 3 bread pans but 2 so that is what I used. One of the pans is the standard glass bread loaf pan, but, my other is a big, professional bread pan that is used for white bread.

1 pound cake flour (3 1/2 cups)
1 pound butter (2 cups)
1 pound sugar (2 1/4 cups)
1 pound eggs (9 large eggs)
2 tbls vanilla

Preheat 300*. Line loaf pans with waxed paper. (I sprayed Pam on them first then lined)

Cream butter well, add sugar gradually and cream until light and fluffy.

Add eggs, 2 at a time and beat well after each addition. Add vanilla, mix well.

Add flour gradually and beat until smooth.

Pour mixture into pans and bake for about 1 hour 30 minutes. Test by touching top of cake if springs back its done if not cook some more at 10 minute intervals.

NOTE: A pound cake traditionally is called a pound cake because everything weighs a pound...so if you have a kitchen scale...weigh the ingredients to a pound or as close to a pound that you can get. Don't forget to "tare" the scale with a separate bowl first.

Use a stand mixer. I have a Cuisinart or use something because all the mixing for this pound cake if done by hand will wear you out!!!

Anyway, let sit for 15 minutes to cool. Lift pound cake out by the wax paper and place on a board. Gently lift cake and place on wire rack.

It is so good and the house smells like vanilla.... another perfect bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment