Friday, February 17, 2012

Low-Fat Chocolate Mousse


I was planning on making a low-fat chocolate Mousee for my dinner with Cyrus, my food guinea pig, (he loves coming for dinner and a few games of Scrabble)...got home...tried to turn on the oven...hence tried...oven is NOT working...not turning on or anything...stove still works...oven does not and I have this mousse to make. Neighbors, Judy and John are not home so I can not use their oven. I can not believe that I actually did this and it worked. B-B-Q yes that's right...I channeled my inner Bobby Fly...I fired up that BBQ, placed the oven temp gauge in the BBQ- pre-heated -- 350*...put the cake pan in and...OMGosh - it actually worked!!!!!!! The mousse came out perfect. Of course, I watched it with an eagle eye but... yet I must say...another perfect bite...

8 oz. bitter sweet chocolate chips/pieces
8 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cups plus 2 tbls powered sugar

Pre-heat over 350*. Coat an 8 1/2 inch springform pan. I only had an 8 inch, so I used that. Coat pan with cooking spray and line bottom with a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper. I used waxed paper.

Melt chocolate in the microwave, on high for 4 minutes. The bowl get really hot so be careful. Stir to mix the chips until smooth.

Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites into different bowls. Beat the yolks until think and pale looking. Gradually, beat in the chocolate so as not to cook the yolks. Fold in the vanilla.

Beat the egg whites with 1/4 cup powdered sugar until soft peaks. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then fold in the rest of the egg whites and incorporate.

Pour the mixture into the pan and place in the oven for 25 minutes or until set but still a little jiggly in the middle.

Cool pan then place in the frig. When ready to serve, remove from pan and remove paper, dust the remaining 2 tbls over the mousse.

NOTE* I screwed up with this recipe I accidentally put all the powdered sugar in the egg whites. I thought that it was going to be really sugary but it wasn't. It was quite good. So even when your oven breaks and you mess up the recipe no worries life goes on! I mean if Julia Child can drop a chicken on National TV and keep going well I guess I can add too much sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment