Friday, February 24, 2012

Beef Round Roast Casserole



With the earlier beef round roast that I did, 3 lbs has gone a long way. And when you are on a very tight budget finding good tasting recipes that can stretch is a happy thing.
Sandwiches, sandwiches, sandwiches you can only have too many sandwiches... so I went online in the pursuit of finding a left-over roast "stretchy" type of recipe and I found one. And here it is...

3 tbls veggie oil...I used canola
3 cups cabbage - shredded...Napa cabbage would be good too
2 onions - sliced.... I used 1 because that was all I had
1 1/2 cups mushrooms sliced.... I used a full bag of pre-sliced mushrooms
2 cups roast leftover sliced - julienned
2 tbls Dijon mustard
1 cup beef broth.....1 can of beef broth is too much so I used 2 boullion cubs with 1 cup
hot water
4 cups Egg noodles - cooked..... just use 1 bag of large egg noodles, cook per directions

Heat oil in a large, deep sided skillet (I used my big wok). Saute the cabbage and onions until limp, 3- 5 minuted. Add mushrooms and continue to saute over medium heat until the mushrooms have lost most of their moisture about another 5 minutes.

Add roast, mustard and broth, season to taste. (I just used salt and pepper) Simmer until the liquid is almost all absorbed. Toss in the cooked noodles: serve immediately.


NOTE: This recipe is reminiscent of Beef Stroganof. I would think that if you use half heavy cream and half beef broth it would be quite good too. This makes a good 6 servings.

Yeah...another perfect bite!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment