Monday, January 9, 2012

Mushroom, Beef and Barley Soup


The recipe is from the Relish magazine out of the Star News from last week. It was really easy to make and it tasted great. I made crescent rolls with it because I had a tube left over but any type of roll would be really good with this soup even if you just have butter and bread. Very hearty and warming soup. I was pleasantly surprised to realize that if I substituted lamb for the beef this would be Scotch Broth, one of my favorite childhood soups that is hard to find in the store.

1/2 lb sirloin steak, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 tbls olive oil (or grape seed oil or corn or any high temp oil)
1 cup diced onions
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery (I added this)
1 (12oz package) mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking barely***
1 can beef broth
5 cups water
1 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups Swiss Chard (I used Kale instead of the Swiss Chard)

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add beef and saute until brown add onions, carrots and celery; saute about 7 minutes....then add mushrooms and saute about 8 minutes.

Add barely, broth, water, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, add Kale (Swiss Chard) and cook about 40 minutes.

Makes about 6 cups.

*** I did not have quick cook barely so I pre-cooked regular barely and added that in.

This is really good for a cold winter supper. And it is great the next day and I bet it freezes really well.

Happy cooking...and remember make that perfect bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment