Friday, December 23, 2011

Solveig's Persimmon Cookies

This recipe is from my late Mother in Law, Solveig. Whenever I make them I get the best reaction... so for the holiday's here it is.

1 cup Persimmon pulp
rind of one lemon (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 egg
2 cups flour

SIFT TOGETHER
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt (optional)

1 cup diced nuts - walnuts, pecans or almonds
1 cup raisins

Cream sugar and butter: add persimmon pulp, lemon rind and soda. Beat until creamy. Beat in egg, then add flour and spices. Fold in nuts and raisins.
Drop spoonfuls on greased baking sheet. Bake at 350* for 15 minutes. Makes 3 dozen. Recipe can be doubled.
********************************************************************************
I always use butter. And since I have diverticulous I don't use any nuts at all and the cookies are still good. The raisins can be left out if you wish but I do use golden raisins only. They seem to stay softer than the black ones.

So enjoy and remember when you taste them for the first time...close your eyes and say to yourself... damn I'm good!

No comments:

Post a Comment