Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Balsamic Syrup

The Relish Magazine insert from the Star News is a great place for recipe ideas. Though some of them look like you need a 5 five star chef to cook them. However, Relish from last week had some good ideas. Here's one that was easy to do.

Balsamic Syrup

Combine 1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 star anise
2 sticks cinnamon in a saucepan.

Simmer until reduced by one-third, about 45 minutes. (You do need to stir it occasionally because the sugar settles) Let cool. Makes a cup.

Summary:

Excellent taste. I made this for Christmas gifts filling glass mason jars. I would measure out how many jars you are going to fill with the syrup and do the math from that. I had 8 different sized jars and doing the math before hand helped. I had no syrup left over. Filled the jars perfectly.

I went to Smart & Final and got a big container of their cheapest balsamic vinegar. Brown sugar came from the 99cent store (2 boxes of C & H brown sugar, can't beat that). The cinnamon sticks I had but you can find bags of them from the 99 cent store and Food for Less in bulk. The Star Anise, well yeah, I had, but that too can be bought in bulk from Foods for Less.

I saved the cinnamon sticks and star anise for another batch.

This syrup is thick and you need half of what you would normally for salads and such. I tried it on tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese. It was really good.

So try it...and when you taste it and realize it is perfect.. say to yourself....Damn I'm good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment